Architectural Walking Tours
Through the Eyes of an Architect
Advanced Reservations! AIA Honolulu offers architectural walking tours of beautiful and historic downtown Honolulu, on advanced reserved Saturday mornings.
View Tour Dates & Register Online! To view upcoming tour dates and to register/pay online, please go to our event calendar.
The tour costs $10.00/person and needs to be paid in advance. A walking tour booklet can also be purchased for and additional $5.00 (optional).
Questions? Email Bonnie McIntyre, Center Services Coordinator, or call her at (808) 628-7243
A Rare Treat to View Cherished Treasures! The AIA Honolulu architectural walking tour of Downtown Honolulu is a rare treat for local residents and visitors to explore downtown Honolulu through the eyes of an Architect.
The tour is a great reminder that our busy downtown is not just our state’s business center and financial district but it also harbors some of Hawaii’s most significant and cherished treasures—all within walking distance.
Tour Highlights Include: Restored Hawaii Theatre, Our Lady of Peace Cathedral, St. Andrews Cathedral, Washington Place, State Capitol, Iolani Palace, Honolulu Hale, Kawaihao Church, Mission House Museum, Aliiolani Hale, the Kamehameha Statue.....and much more.
Walking Tour Facts & What to Expect
Our walking tours are held on pre-reserved Saturday mornings from 9am - 11:30am with check in at 8:45am. Tours begin at AIA Honolulu I Center for Architecture on 828 Fort Street Mall, Suite 100 in Honolulu .
Good walking shoes, sunscreen or even an umbrella is recommended! Bring your water bottle and fill it up at the Center before you leave. We will provide a map for you to follow as your guide accompanies you to all of the sites of interest.
Each tour is lead by an AIA architect who relates architecture with history, cultural insights, anecdotes and much more. Tour groups consists of 4 - 12 walkers. Tours with less than 4 walkers might get cancelled in which case you will be informed in advance.
Booklet Available + Self Guided Tour Possibility!
We have a 24-page glossy booklet titled "Exploring Downtown - A Walking Tour with the Honolulu Chapter of the American Institute of Architects" which contains full color photos and a historic write-up of each of the sites visited.
It also features a full map which can serve as a self-guided tour. The booklet is on sale at the AIA Honolulu office for $5.00.
The book is available due to the efforts of Frank Haines, FAIA in association with Dr. Janine Clifford, AIA, of Clifford Planning LLC and edited by Glenn Mason, AIA.
Walking Tour in the News
- Waikiki Magazine! On July 3, 2013, AIA Honolulu member Mark Ayers was interviewed about our Free Waikiki Walking Tour that took place during Architecture Month (April) in 2013! The article was called "Through an Architect’s Eyes" and written by Waikiki Magazine Team.
- YouTube! Watch Spencer Leineweber, FAIA being interviewed by Malika Dudley, Hawaii News Now (Sept. 2011) and get a glimpse into our wonderful Architectural Walking Tour of Historical Downtown Honolulu. View Part 1 & Part 2.
- Intelligent Travel from National Geographic! Our Architectural Walking Tour was mentioned in the Intelligent Travel from National Geographic, talking about our Free Architecture Walking Tour that we offer every April in celebration of Architecture Month
- Honolulu Star Bulletin! Friday, Sep. 14, 2007 the Honolulu Star Bulletin "In step with history" by Jacquelyn Carberry: "For the better part of the last 50 years, Frank Haines and Alex Weinstein have spent their Saturday mornings educating the public on Hawaii's rich architectural past...." Read More.
- Honolulu Star Bulletin! Sunday, Apr. 22, 2007 the Honolulu Star Bulletin "Hawaii’s Back Yard" by Cheryl Chee Tsutsumi: "Eighty-six-year-old Frank Haines views buildings with the same sense of awe and wonder as an art aficionado would view a Rembrandt..."Read More.