AIA in Hawaii
The AIA is the voice of the
architectural profession and the resource for its members in service to
Based in Washington, D.C., the American Institute of Architects (AIA) has been the leading professional membership association for licensed architects, emerging professionals, and allied partners since 1857. AIA Honolulu is a Chapter of the AIA representing and serving over 800 members on the island of Oahu, Hawaii, Kauai and Lanai. Within these islands, AIA Honolulu represents and serves over 800 individual member architects, associates, and allied design professionals. Organizationally, we are a local membership organization incorporated as a 501(c) 6 non-profit corporation and guided by the laws of the State of Hawaii.
AIA is Architects - the community of architects, joining together to accomplish things
individual architects cannot do alone.
Why We Exist
To help each other put our talents to work to create better places for people to live, work and play through:
- Community - building a healthy and welcoming profession
- Knowledge - sharing experience and wisdom
- Advocacy - extending the influence of our profession’s values.
Three Hawaii-Based AIA Organizations
Recognizing the expanded role of AIA architects throughout the state, a re-organization took place between the years 1989 - 1990 that resulted in the formation of three Hawaii-based AIA organizations.
- AIA Honolulu: In 1989, the Hawaii Society became the Honolulu Chapter, the American Institute of Architects, representing the local interests of AIA members on Oahu, the Island of Hawaii and Kauai and Lanai. In 2004 the Honolulu Chapter changed their official name to AIA Honolulu, by which they are known today.
- AIA Maui a Chapter of the American Institute of Architects was formed on January 26, 1990 to present and serve the local needs and interests of AIA members residing on the island of Maui.
- The Hawaii State Council, the American Institute of Architects was formed on December 26, 1989 to represent AIA members on matters of state-wide interest with a primary function to provide assistance and advice to state, governmental and regulatory bodies where matters of state-wide interest to the architecture profession and the built environment are concerned.
All three organizations are separately incorporated under the laws of the State of Hawaii as a not-for-profit corporation.
History of AIA in Hawaii
In 1926 the classified telephone
directory of Honolulu listed 11 architectural offices and the
Territorial Board of Registration named 29 architectural registrants.
existed several local groups, .i.e. the Engineering Association, the
Artists Association, and the Architects Society of Hawaii, but none of
these fulfilled the role of an architecturally oriented organization
devoted to the improvement of the profession.
architects, Hart Wood, Charles W. Dickey, Walter L. Emory, Marshal H.
Webb, Ralph Fishbourne, and Edwin Pettit wrote to the American Institute
of Architects (AIA) requesting to charter a local Chapter.
October 13, 1926, a charter was granted from the AIA to form the Hawaii
Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. In 1975, at the
direction of the AIA national organization (also known as the
Institute), the name of the Hawaii Chapter was changed to the Hawaii
Society, The American Institute of Architects, continuing to represent
the interests of AIA members in Hawaii.