AIA Honolulu Design Awards Program
"Shaping Hawaii through Design Excellence"
2013 Design Awards Sponsors
- Honolulu Star Advertiser! Congratulations to Cathi Ho Schar, AIA and Louis Fung, AIA (2013 President) for getting interviewed by Steven Mark and selected to be featured in the Honolulu-Star Advertiser. In case you missed the articles, here they are as scanned PDF's: Re-modern article_1 & Re-modern article_2.
- Pacific Business News! The Award of Excellence winner - was featured in the Pacific Business News on July 26 in an article titled "UH West Oahu campus, Seabury Hall take top architecture honors in AIA Honolulu awards" by Jenna Blakely.
The AIA Honolulu’s Annual Design Awards is Hawaii’s oldest program of its type—held annually since 1958.
Built and unbuilt projects submitted by local AIA members are judged on their merit by a distinguished jury of AIA architects. All project types are eligible for submission by members—from small home renovations to multi-million dollar resorts.
The Annual AIA Honolulu Design Awards Program provides an avenue for AIA Honolulu architects to be recognized by their peers for their effort and dedication to excellence in architectural design.
In doing so, AIA Honolulu hopes to raise public consciousness, awareness of design excellence and the special role of AIA architects in the community.
Pictured above is one of our 2013 Excellence Award Winners "Omidyar K-1 Neighborhood" by Urban Works Inc.
Many award winning projects from this prestigious awards program are now considered architectural landmarks in our islands—appropriate and well-conceived solutions addressing important urban or social concerns.
- The Award of Excellence is reserved for those projects which stand out from all of the meritorious award winners. This highest honor recognizes projects which are deemed to exemplify excellence of architectural design on all levels of analysis, and exemplify the highest standards to which AIA members aspire.
- The Award of Merit is granted to projects which display a high standard of architectural quality and design.
- Unbuilt Projects Award: Entries may include any project that is either commissioned (client sponsored) or intended for construction, or purely theoretical work not intended for construction–submitted individually (by AIA or Assoc AIA), as a team or firm. The jury will review and select entries in this category based on creativity, originality, power and potential of the ideas presented. Winners for this award remain eligible for entry in the Built project category when and if completed in the future.
Popular Choice Awards:
- Jack C. Lipman, AIA Members' Choice Award. This award was established in 1999 in honor of JackC. Lipman, AIA, one of the Hawaii Chapter’s distinguished past presidents. The recipient of this award is recognized as having achieved an outstanding level of design—appropriate to the climate and culture of Hawaii, as voted by fellow AIA Honolulu members.
- People's Choice Award. First launched in 2007, the People’s Choice Award provides the public an opportunity to view AIA distinguished entrants and determine an annual winner by popular choice. This award aims to encourage public dialog to help shape Hawaii through design excellence.
- The Mayor’s Choice Award. Begun in 1998, the Mayor’s Choice award aims to validate the importance of good design in shaping our city and local communities. Thanks to the honorable Mayor Kirk Caldwell, City and County of Honolulu, for his continued support.
- Hawaii Home+Remodeling: Editor's Choice Award is selected by the editor of the Hawaii Home+Remodeling Magazine from all our residential design award entrants.
Click here for a complete list of AIA Honolulu Design Awards winners since 1958.
AIA has maintained an excellent partnership with Pacific Basin Communications, publisher of Hawaii Business, Honolulu, and Hawaii Home+Remodeling. This alliance positions our members within a core readership of business and professional leaders as well as potential private clients. The 2013 Design Award entrants and winners will be featured in the August 2013 issue of Hawaii Business and of the HONOLULU Magazine. Extra copies of the magazine featuring the awards may be obtained by stopping by the AIA Honolulu office during regular business hours or by calling AIA Honolulu at 808-545-4242.
First launched in 2006, you can now view samples of our architect members' works! Click on the links below to be directed to our design awards web pages offering photo images of past distinguished entrants and winning projects. AIA Architects are working together to create better communities through thoughtful design. Visit our Architect Finder and AIA Firm Finder to contact any of our AIA Honolulu members.
- 2012 Design Awards Entries
- 2011 Design Awards Entries
- 2010 Design Awards Entries
- 2009 Design Awards Entries
- 2008 Design Awards Entries
- 2007 Design Awards Entries
- 2006 Design Awards Winners