Still Time to Submit Project(s) to the 60th AIA Honolulu Design Awards!
Deadline extended until Monday, August 6
The AIA Honolulu’s Annual Design Awards is Hawaii’s oldest program of its type—held annually since 1958. Built and unbuilt projects submitted by local AIA members are judged on their merit by a distinguished jury of AIA architects.
Design Awards Gala November 15 at Bishop Museum: Save the date for the 2018 AIA Honolulu Design Awards Gala taking place on Thursday, Nov. 15 at the Bishop Museum. Winners announced to the public.
Enter the Design Awards Today
START YOUR ONLINE SUBMISSION HERE
Each project will receive a unique login when you enter online. You can submit one or multiple projects within that same account. Start today and review/edit until the submission deadline.
Design Awards Information & Submission Guidelines
View and print our AIA Honolulu Design Awards Information (PDF) below for detailed information on submission dates, fees, eligibility, submission requirements, project categories, award levels and jury.
All the below information is included in the above PDF files.
AIA & ASSOC. AIA DEADLINES - EXTENDED DEADLINE AUG. 6
- 6/01 – Online registration and submission opens Friday, June 1
- 6/20 – Deadline for refunds to be processed for withdrawals, Wednesday, June 20, Midnight (HST)
- 8/06 – Submissions completed/submitted by Monday, July 30, 5pm (HST)
STUDENT DEADLINES - CLOSED!
- 4/30 - Registration opened Monday, April 30
- 6/13 - Submissions must be fully completed/submitted/paid by Weds, June 13, 5pm (HST)
AIA & ASSOC. AIA FEE
- $30 / Individual or Group Project
- Same Low Fee! $275 / Entry (Built and Unbuilt Categories)
ARCHITECTURAL STUDENTS - To be eligible for this award:
- You must be currently registered as a student(s) within an architectural design program in Hawaii or one that has graduated from a two-year architectural program in 2017 or 2018. Qualifying programs include 1) Environmental+Interior Design Program at Chaminade University, 2) Architectural, Engineering and CAD Technologies Program at Honolulu Community College and Hawai'i Community College, and 3) Bachelor of Environmental Design or Doctor of Architecture programs at the University of Hawaii at Manoa School of Architecture.
- Work must be completed entirely and solely by the student(s), and must have been completed within the past two semesters prior to the entry deadline
- Work must be architectural or three-dimensional in nature. Graphic design projects will not be considered.
- Group projects are acceptable, recognition must be given to each team member
- Projects submitted must be an assignment of an academic design program. Projects completed in a work or freelance setting are not permitted.
- Only one project allowed to be submitted per student
- Doctoral projects or doctoral research are not eligible for submission
- Undergraduate students must submit undergraduate-level work.
- Graduate students must submit graduate-level work.
- Paid UH Community Design Studio projects are not eligible; academic UH Community Design Studio projects are eligible
- Projects that received a previous AIA Honolulu Student Design Award are not eligible..
AIA & ASSOC. AIA - To be eligible for this award:
- Licensed Architect members of this Chapter may enter all project categories.
- Associate AIA members of AIA Honolulu may submit in the unbuilt project category only.
- There is no time limit from when project was completed to when it may be submitted for an award.
- There is no limit to the number of submissions by the same architect or firm.
- Firms whose employees are members of the jury are not eligible for submission in that year.
The following re-entry rules apply to previously submitted projects:
- Those projects that did not receive any award in a prior year may be resubmitted.
- Previously awarded projects which have undergone substantial renovation may be resubmitted.
- Previously awarded unbuilt projects are eligible for re-submittal upon completion.
- Projects which received past recognition in a non-juried category (such as People’s Choice winner) may be submitted in subsequent years for consideration of a juried award.
- All other previously awarded juried projects are not eligible for resubmittal.
2018 Design Awards Jury
Juror selection is based upon the locating impartial individuals who represent high levels of achievement,
design quality and professional integrity. Every attempt is made to create a balanced panel that will provide
fair judgment to all entries.
Out-of-State Jury! In 2018, the AIA Honolulu Design Awards jury will consist of five individuals, four of whom will be members of an AIA chapter outside of Hawaii. One juror will be a member of AIA Honolulu and travel to the chapter where the others jurors are located in order to participate in the judging and ensure that the uniqueness of
Hawaii Architecture is recognized and appreciated by the non-local jury.
Members of the design awards committee whose firms have submitted in that year may not be present and/or may not participate during any aspect of jury deliberations.
A $100 administrative fee will be charged to all withdrawn projects, where AIA has been notified in advance of the request to withdraw. After Wednesday, June 20, 2018 o refund requests from entrants will be considered. There will be no refunds for submissions that are LATE, INCOMPLETE, or disqualified per the deadlines/guidelines of this awards program.
Back to top.
Thank You to our 2018 Design Awards Sponsors!
Click here for 2018 Design Awards Sponsorship opportunities!
Interested in being a Design Awards Sponsor?
There are a variety of sponsorship opportunities available, all of which provide your organization with significant exposure to AIA Honolulu members and our 2018 Design Awards attendees.
View our Design Awards Sponsorship Prospects for more information.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 808.628.7243