Submit Projects Today - Extended Deadline until Friday June 28
New Awards for 2019! The Distinctive Detail Design Awards and the
Hawai‘i Energy Award for Excellence in Energy-Efficient Design
The AIA Honolulu’s Annual Design Awards is Hawaii’s oldest program of its type—held annually since 1958. Built and unbuilt projects submitted by local AIA members are judged on their merit by a distinguished jury of AIA architects.
Enter the Design Awards Today
CLICK HERE TO START YOUR ONLINE SUBMISSION
Each project will receive a unique login when you enter online. You can submit one or multiple projects within that same account. Start today and review/edit until the submission deadline.
EXTENDED Submission Deadline
- Friday, June 28 – Submissions fully completed/submitted/paid by 5pm (HST)
- $300 - AIA & Assoc. AIA Honolulu Members (Built and Unbuilt Projects)
- $30 - Architectural Students (Individual or Group Projects)
Save the Date! 2019 Designs Awards Gala - Sep. 14, 5-9pm
The 2019 AIA Honolulu Design Awards Gala will take place Saturday, September 14, 5-9pm at Jefferson Hall in the East-West Center at the University of Hawaii Manoa. Winners announced to the public
Design Awards Information & Submission Guidelines
View and print our AIA Honolulu Design Awards Information (PDF) below for detailed information on submission dates, fees, eligibility, submission requirements, project categories, award levels and jury.
All the below information is also included in the above PDF files.
AIA & ASSOC. AIA - To be eligible for this award:
- Licensed Architect members of this Chapter may enter all project categories.
- Associate AIA members of AIA Honolulu may submit in the unbuilt project category only.
- There is no time limit from when project was completed to when it may be submitted for an award.
- There is no limit to the number of submissions by the same architect or firm.
- Firms whose employees are members of the jury are not eligible for submission in that year.
The following re-entry rules apply to previously submitted projects:
- Those projects that did not receive any award in a prior year may be resubmitted.
- Previously awarded projects which have undergone substantial renovation may be resubmitted.
- Previously awarded unbuilt projects are eligible for re-submittal upon completion.
- Projects which received past recognition in a non-juried category (such as People’s Choice winner) may be submitted in subsequent years for consideration of a juried award.
- All other previously awarded juried projects are not eligible for resubmittal.
ARCHITECTURAL STUDENTS - To be eligible for this award:
- You must be currently registered as a student(s) within an architectural design program in Hawaii or one that has graduated from a two-year architectural program in 2018 or 2019. Qualifying programs include 1) Environmental+Interior Design Program at Chaminade University, 2) Architectural, Engineering and CAD Technologies Program at Honolulu Community College and Hawai'i Community College and 3) Bachelor of Environmental Design or Doctor of Architecture programs at the University of Hawaii at Manoa School of Architecture.
- Work must be completed entirely and solely by the student(s), and must have been completed within the past two semesters prior to the entry deadline
- Work must be architectural or three-dimensional in nature. Graphic design projects will not be considered.
- Group projects are acceptable, recognition must be given to each team member
- Projects submitted must be an assignment of an academic design program. Projects completed in a work or freelance setting are not permitted.
- Only one project allowed to be submitted per student
- Doctoral projects or doctoral research are not eligible for submission
- Undergraduate students must submit undergraduate-level work.
- Graduate students must submit graduate-level work.
- Paid UH Community Design Studio projects are not eligible; academic UH Community Design Studio projects are eligible
- Projects that received a previous AIA Honolulu Student Design Award are not eligible.
2019 Design Awards Jury
Juror selection is based upon locating impartial individuals who represent high levels of achievement,
design quality and professional integrity. Every attempt is made to create a balanced panel that will provide
fair judgment to all entries.
We are excited to introduce our 2019 jury, who this year consists of five individuals, two who are members of AIA San Francisco and three AIA Honolulu members. Click here to read brief bios of all jurors.
2019 Esteemed Design Awards Jurors (L-R): Geoffrey Lewis, AIA, Principal and Owner of Geoffrey Lewis Architect, Inc established in 1997; Karen Sakamoto, AIA, Partner at Next Design, LLC based in Honolulu, Hawaii; Cathi Ho Schar, AIA, LEED AP, Assistant Professor at the UH at Manoa School of Architecture; Daniel Simons, FAIA, LEED AP, Principal at David Baker Architects based in San Francisco and Paul Woolford, AIA, LEED AP, BD+C, Senior Principal and Design Principal of HOK based in San Francisco.
Members of the design awards committee whose firms have submitted in that year may not be present and/or may not participate during any aspect of jury deliberations.
A $100 administrative fee will be charged to all withdrawn projects, where AIA has been notified in advance of the request to withdraw. After Friday, June 7, 2019 no refund requests from entrants will be considered. There will be no refunds for submissions that are LATE, INCOMPLETE, or disqualified per the deadlines/guidelines of this awards program.
Back to top
Mahalo 2019 Design Awards Sponsors!
Become one of our Design Awards sponsor today!
Interested in being a Design Awards Sponsor?
There are a variety of sponsorship opportunities available, all of which provide your organization with significant exposure to AIA Honolulu members and our 2019 Design Awards attendees.
View our Design Awards Sponsorship Prospects for more information.
Email us at email@example.com or call 808.628.7243