Licensing & Consumer Protection Committee
The Hawaii State Council Licensing & Consumer Protection (LCP) Committee is responsible for defending the state’s architect licensing law, liaising with the Hawaii Dept. of Commerce and Consumer Affairs EASLA, and other items associated with licensing and consumer protection related to architects in Hawaii.
Reported from the AIA SpeakUp 2017 Denver, Colorado
Read full report by Brent I Tokita, AIA, LEED AP: Governmental Advocacy should be a high priority for any AIA chapter and you can’t get any higher than the 2nd Annual AIA SpeakUp in Denver, Colorado. AIA Hawaii State Council provided a generous scholarship for me to attend this event which provided seminars and an interesting group exercise to promote advocacy skills through the grassroots of AIA. There was representation from across the country with local chapters ranging from a few dozen to thousands of members. Many were very inexperienced in advocacy whereas other had well-developed Political Action Committees(PACS) and targeted action plans.
Membership in the Hawaii State Council LCP committee is open to all AIA Honolulu and AIA Maui members
LCP Committee Agenda:
- Defend Hawaii’s currently strong architect licensing law. HRS 464 is the strongest licensing/consumer protection law in USA with respect to what requires architect seal and signature.
- Liaison with State of Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs Engineers Architects Surveyors & Landscape Architects Board (EASLA).
- Assist ARE candidates for licensing exam. State-wide Intern Development Program (IDP) coordinator.
- Monitor activities of DCCA Design Conciliation Panel that determines merits of DCCA-based claims against architects.
- Recommend any added hours of mandatory continuing education as NCARB is recommending to Hawaii EASLA Board to meet national standard. Hawaii currently has the lowest hour requirements of any state that already requires continuing education for license renewal. AIA Hawaii currently has no position for or against an increase.
LCP Committee Leadership and Members
For more information about the LCP Committee please email Brent Tokita at brentt@RMAIA-ARCHITECTS.com