Architectural Walking Tours
Through the eyes of an architect or architectural historian!
Make Your Advanced Reservations! AIA Honolulu offers architectural walking tours of historic downtown Honolulu, by advanced reserved Saturday mornings.
Tour Dates & Online Registration: View our web calendar and sort by "Walking Tour" in the drop down list to view upcoming tours.
Walking Tour: $15.00/per person (paid in advance).
Walking Tour Booklet: A historic booklet can be purchased for $10 (or $5 if purchased in combination with the tour). This booklet can also be used for a self guided walking tour.
Questions? Email AIA Honolulu or call us at (808) 628-7243.
A Rare Treat to View Cherished Treasures! The AIA Honolulu architectural walking tour of Downtown Honolulu is a rare treat for local residents and visitors to explore downtown Honolulu through the eyes of an architect or architectural historian. The tour is a great reminder that our busy downtown is not just our state’s business center and financial district but it also harbors some of Hawaii’s most significant and cherished treasures—all within walking distance.
Tour Highlights Include: Restored Hawaii Theatre, Our Lady of Peace Cathedral, St. Andrews Cathedral, Washington Place, State Capitol, Iolani Palace, Honolulu Hale, Kawaihao Church, Mission House Museum, Aliiolani Hale, the Kamehameha Statue.....and much more.
Walking Tour Facts & What to Expect
Our walking tours are held on pre-reserved Saturday mornings from 9am - 11:30am with check in at 8:45am. Tours begin at AIA Honolulu I Center for Architecture on 828 Fort Street Mall, Suite 100 in Honolulu .
Good walking shoes, sunscreen or even an umbrella is recommended! Bring your water bottle and fill it up at the Center before you leave. We will provide a map for you to follow as your guide accompanies you to all of the sites of interest.
Each tour provides architectural and historical insights about the fascinating buildings in Honolulu’s downtown and Capitol District. Tour groups consists of 4 - 12 walkers. Tours with less than 4 walkers might get cancelled in which case you will be informed in advance.
AIA Walking Tours in the News
- Click here for a PBS production of Long Story Short, for an interview with Leslie Wilcox and Frank Haines, FAIA.
- Frank Haines Long Story Short Transcript PBS
- Frank Haines, FAIA: A Walk with a Legend:Building Industry Magazine, July 2014
- Through an Architect’s Eyes: Waikiki Magazine July 3, 2013
- Walking Tour Part 1 & Part 2: Hawaii News Now (YouTube) Sept. 2011
- Walking Tour for Architecture Month: Intelligent Travel from National Geographic November 2011.
- Rare Editions by A. Kam Napier: Honolulu Magazine December 2008
- In step with history: Honolulu Star Bulletin Sep. 14, 2007 (feat. Frank Haines, FAIA & Alex Weinstein, AIA)
- Hawaii’s Back Yard: Honolulu Star Bulletin Apr. 22, 2007 (feat. Frank Haines, FAIA) .